User Tag List

Dallas, Tx, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Application Navigation/Bitmap Image

Hi Elfriede,
    I am currently reading your book "Automated Software Testing" and I think this is an excellent book on Software Test Automation. I do have couple of questions for you,

- Application Navigation: I do agree with you about the shortcomings of using tabs, hotkeys, mouse clicks etc on screen navigation. But, I did not understand the use of object name. I know in WinRunner and XRunner the tool will create a logical name of that object and put it in a GUI Map. As a result, if the location of the object changes from one place to another within the same screen, the tool is able to find the object using it's logical name. But in this case you do need to use the GUI Map created by the tool while recording. Please shed some light on using object name.

- Bitmap Image Recording: You have pointed out a very importnant point about recording a bitmap image. I agree with you on limiting the use of bitmap image for those obvious reasons. But here is the question,
    For example, you are navigating a screen named "Screen One". After the navigation is complete on Screen One, you go to "Screen Two" for further navigation. You like to make sure that Screen Two is displayed before you start nevigating the screen. If the screen is not displayed then, you print an error message stating "Screen Two is NOT displayed" and go do the next(whatever that may be). In WinRunner and Xrunner the way to check if Screen Two is displayed or not, is to do a bit map comparison of a particular text area using Get_Text command. Here is how,
    r=Get_Text("Text Area")
    Here r is a local variable
    if r !="Screen Two"
    Write an error message
    else Navigate Screen Two.

My question is how do you get around to it without using a bitmap comparison? Thanks for you time.

[This message has been edited by malam (edited 04-18-2000).]

Washington, DC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Application Navigation/Bitmap Image

Good to hear you find the book useful.
    To answer your question, I recommend you use either the win_exists or obj_exists functions.
    As you know the problem with bitmap image comparisons is that as soon as an x,y coordinate changes in your baseline the bitmap test will fail.
    I find bitmap tests to be a waste of time, unless circumstances dictate the use of them.

Elfriede Dustin
    Senior Author "Automated Software Testing"