Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

how to test if there is a UI change?

Hi,
    For the application i am testing now, there
    is a change in the way the page looks(all the links,text still remains the same as in the old,only the way the page looks has changed).how do i go about testing these?
    Manual testing is quite tedious.
    Thanks,
    Madhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Blog Entries

Re: how to test if there is a UI change?

Madhu,
    I am assuming you are using a capture/playback tool. If you are expecting the look and feel of your GUI/Web page to change, but not the links, simply don't record/baseline the GUI's look and feel, only record/baseline the links.
    It does not make sense at this point where your GUI is still constantly changing to baseline any GUI/Web page's look and feel.
    Additionally, you might be able to get started automating some of the Web page functionality, assuming the works of the functionality does not change.
    HTH,
    Elfriede

------------------
    Elfriede Dustin
    Senior Author "Automated Software Testing"
    www.autotestco.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you are just testing for links to be correct, you will miss other types of errors.

I think folks should have a capture-and-compare routine in their automated testing arsenal.
    Such a routine takes a text-based and/or bitmap-based "snapshot" of a page, and compares it to a baseline.
    If there are any differences, you should be able to view these differences in context.

Often I find that the UI of a page gets changed without notice. This method helps detect that this has occurred. Then you can go about determining if an error has occurred or not.

-joe
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Verging for a moment into specific tools and solutions, Segue's SilkTest has a very handy function called GenerateDecl() which can generate all the declarations for a given Web page. I have used this frequently to run one baseline and then run a series of comparisons to see if anything has changed. It is not perfect but it is very handy.

With WinRunner you can do something similar if you try to generate a GUI Map automatically by having a script cycle through the recognized elements on a page. This is much more difficult to implement than in the case of SilkTest, but still capable of being done.

Finally, you could write a small little app in Visual Basic or something else that you are familiar with that traverses the page recursively by using the Document Object Model of the browser. You pretty much have to use Internet Explorer for this because it currently exposes much more than Netscape although that is supposed to change with Netscape 6.0.