Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Evaluation of professional test framework

Hello all,

Currently I am looking for a test tool. We have a software that runs as an Desktop Application and on the other hand it is also available in the web (written in C#). Therefor I would need a test tool which can test both (desktop application + web). It should also be able to run the tests on iOS (Safari only no desktop application). I found in the internet a lot of tools but not offering everything my requirements fits. E.g. I would like to setup easy test cases and if necessary to be able to adjust with additional code (prefered language is c#). As our web application has dynamic content this should be considered as well (Ive heard a lot of test tools have their problems in identificate an object later). It should also have a professional reporting option and the possibility to schedule my tests to run in a batch. For internal purposes it should archive the results and have an easy find back method for any test case which run in the past. I checked following test tools:

- Silk Test
    - Visual Studio Test Professional 2012
    - Ranorex
    - TestComplete
    - Squish GUI Testing
    - TestStudio
    - TestPlant

None of these above mentioned tools have been tested by me personally. Any ideas, Advice or hints are welcome. It should be as I mentioned in my subject thread an professional test tool.

thanks to all for you help in advance

naklab (newbie in testing)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Each of your requirements seem like they would be handled by Ranorex.
    Will test web & desktop based AUTs.
    Will test IOS Mobile apps (but not IOS desktop apps).
    Can be coded in C# through VS or the Ranorex IDE.
    Can be compiled and run in a batch through scheduler or included in a CI implementation.
    If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I think iOS support is a limiting factor for most of these tools.

Is there a reason you don't bring some of them in for a trial? That seems like the obvious next step to me.

Be prepared for the possibility that a single tool won't meet all of your needs, and that you may need more than one tools.

Often, we don't know the real tool requirements that are important, until we've gotten the tool in our hands and tried it out. What seemed important may actually be unimportant or irrelevant, and what seemed unimportant may be critical. Much of this depends on the way you will use the tool(s) in your shop.

The way I do automation, I usually put together several tools into a tool suite. I usually have few must haves, and a bigger batch of nice-to-haves:
    All Things Quality: Things I Like to Have in my Test Automation Suites
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    For desktop app, out of those you listed, I think TestComplete is my favorite. They have a separate runtime licensing model that you can use for setting up CI without eating the full cost of a full license. This let's pay a lower licensing cost on each additional computer you run your tests on. It sucks having to pay like 1200 on each machine you have setup in a CI pool. In most small enterprises, you can have anywhere between 20-100 machines running tests concurrently.

If the web and iOS portion can be handled separately from the Desktop, I'd probably use Selenium/Appium. If you have developer support and SDETs available to write test hooks into the desktop applicaiton. (although this is easy to do with a new application with a cleaner code base, but very difficult to near impossible with an existing legacy application), then Selenium might be a good unifying solution. If you say, don't need as much browsers support and just say testing with the lastest version of a couple browsers, than one of the heavy weight all in one tool will suffice if you can eat the licensing costs.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile