Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing KoFax customization

Hi All,

I am testing the Kofax application (customization), currently in process of selecting an automation tool for the same. The version of Kofax I am testing is 10.0, If any info you can share some info on what tools are best for identifying Kofax objects will be helpful

Thanks,
    Shashi

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing KoFax customization

Shashi,

Have you talked to the people at Kofax about the tools they use, and how they hook their custom class objects? That is where I would start.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply, scenario is the customer I am working with has QTP on their remote desktops and they want to see if we can use qtp to automate some the regression test cases we have on KOFAX. We are currently evaluating if we can use QTP for this taks.

The QTP version is 11 and we are using .Net addin to record the KOFAX objects, but we are seeing that most of the objects are identified as windows object. So we thought parallely we should look for some other tools that is best suited for KOFAX customization.

Your idea is a good one, I will get in touch with customer and see if we can contact KOFAX for some testing tools. Meanwhile if you come across of any info related to tools used for KOFAX testing or automation using QTP on KOFAX please share the same.

Thanks,
    Shashi

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If the application is built in .NET there are a couple of things to consider in relation to QTP.

First, do you have the MIC.INI section [ie_hook] updated to recognize the applications .exe? In the QTP MIC.INI file in the Bin dir you need to addd a line like:

[ie_hook]
    mytestapp.exe=yes

This will attempt to recognize the application as .NET / embedded HTML objects in an application. The apps I work with currently we have to do this in order to get the .NET add-in to see our objects as SWF type instead of WIN type.

The other thing to consider is that maybe the developers have turned off the communication layer with the application, thus QTP is not able to fully communicate with the .NET layer and thus the objects as SWF type.

Experiment with the [ie_hook], and if that doesn't work then you will need to talk to Kofax and see about how to hook the UI objects as .NET type (Swf).
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes the application is built in .Net, I tried adding the KOFAX exe in MIC.INI file, but still no luck.

I will try contacting KOFAX and see if there any option that they need to enable. I will keep the thread updated

Thank you for ur help.
    Shashi