Thread: Odin's Axe tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Odin\'s Axe tool

I am working on evaluating Odin's Axe tool for my current company. I would like to know the following information. Can you please share your experience
    1. Can the test scripts generated by the tool run without the Axe tool?
    2. The test cases table that are built by the excel add-in uses the Object map. Do we have to load the object repository before we write tests in excel sheets?
    3. Does this tool support the objects that are not identified by the QTP tool?
    4. How good is the exceptional handling and logging facility that is in built in the generated scripts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Odin\'s Axe tool

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Can the test scripts generated by the tool run without the Axe tool?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes. Axe generates the test scripts for the underlying test tool. However, in practice, I find it is easier to run the generated scripts from within Axe as I can easily select the test set (IE. Smoke, Regression etc...) and Axe controls the test tool very well.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. The test cases table that are built by the excel add-in uses the Object map. Do we have to load the object repository before we write tests in excel sheets?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No. When writing tests in your favourite spreadsheet editor (I use Open Office Calc ) you are not in Axe. The subtests column-pairs are the objects and Axe uses the column header to identify the objects when generating scripts.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. Does this tool support the objects that are not identified by the QTP tool?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry Poornima, not sure what you mean. An object can be anything you want. In Axe test frameworks I've created/used objects have been SQL query parameters, WebService parameters, tokens in files, etc. as well as objects on webpages.

[ QUOTE ]
    4. How good is the exceptional handling and logging facility that is in built in the generated scripts?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Very good. In the scripts Axe generates a test-failure (IE. Expected value does not match actual) causes a test-step to fail but subsequent steps still to execute. If there is an exception (IE. an object not found etc.) the test affected will abort and testing continues with the next test... The results Axe generates are viewed in a browser and presented well. The results can be quickly looked at to see what passed/failed/didnt-run and then the individual tests drilled down into to see the test-steps and the status of each step etc. The results are actually in an XML file (with an XML transform used to present the tests in readable form) and so can be used to load them into the test management tool being used; which is useful. The results also contain screenshots (depending on the type of test-failure) AND other stuff like object usage (IE. number of times each object has been touched by a test) test documentation etc...

Hope that helps. I've used the Axe tool in a number of projects and consider it indispensible now primarily because the test scripts I (or the testers) write are not tool-specific. I know of one place that had a few thousand Axe/Winrunner tests and migrated them to Axe/WatiN in less than a week! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Mat Walker MCAD (.Net) | MACS | ISTQB-CTFL
    Test Framework Developer
    LinkedIn http://au.linkedin.com/in/mathieuwalker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Odin\'s Axe tool

Thank you for showing some light on the Axe tool.

On the third question, i was actully looking for : does axe tool support automation on applications like powerbuilder whese qtp support is not extensive in identifying objects like power builder data window?