Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What\'s your experience with Model-Based Testing

I have recently become interested in a Model-Based Automation framework. I wonder if anyone has successfully implemented one. If you have, could you give me an idea of the practicality of it please? I can see the overall concept, but have issues with actually implementing it. For instance where do you start? What do you do next, etc.? Just is brief overview of your experience is all I'm asking for.

I find the Wikipedia page on it is very interesting.
    Thanks.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-based_testing
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What\'s your experience with Model-Based Testing

Hi Rich,

I have read the Wikipedia page about Model-based testing.

The deriving tests algorithmically part reminds my last school years with formal code-proving course (which it is an application of theorem proving and model checking).

I love this course. Too bad I don't follow that path.

My opinion is that the page lacks of others derivations.
    The one using algorithms can be used with success when application is embedded (system with restricted resources).

For implementation, like the wikipedia says, it starts with a global knowledge (implementing/testing/desploying a commercial website).

Then from this knowledge, more specific (less abstract) models are extracted (viewing/adding to chart/buying articles).

Each step of specification can be associated a set of behaviors to be tested.

Question is where to stop ?

I think it depends on what level of testing you want and on what parts of the SUT you have access.

Interesting post and subject indeed.

Hope it helps.

Robin
    There is no age to learn.
    And life is an learning adventure.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich,

I've done some research myself over the last year and have some links below that may help.

MBT Intro Guide
    Harry Robinson's old MBT page
    Mike Kelly's article
    Model Driven QA home page
    Microsoft blog site on MBT
    MBT Tool and basic intro

Hope this helps and gives you a good start. This is a new frontier and a difficult one to get started in (IMO). But holds some promise for testing.

There are also tools and techniques to do the Model work up front (like with FSM, State Transition Diagrams, UML, etc.). What I gave you was more around the possibilities/techniques for the framework.

Best to you.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Nice links Jim!!!

Here's my take on it. I've done some looking into this type of model and I've just found that the feasibility of it just isn't there.

Here's the problem with MBT. First, it is extremely specialized. Therefore, it's difficult to find resources to manage the code base, say, if someone were to leave. So you're at the mercy of the person developing the initial implmentation, basically. "Oh please!! Noo! Don't leave us!!!" Lol.

Secondly, time to implement is much longer when compared to some of the current models available.

Third, there is no data (at least not what I've found) showing that MBT will show a greater ROI.

This was just too hard a sell for me. I don't know if there is enough good data out there yet. Maybe if we can convince some Computer Science students to do their Masters' on it, then we'll be able to see some more tangible data.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Brent,

Well the funny thing is our bretheren across the pond in UK and Europe are a lot more on the ball with this than us here in US and Canada it seems.

Most of the other papers and projects/tools I've found have been done by people in Europe.

I know of one person here in my area (Denver) who has implemented a MBT framework in Winrunner at his company. And yes, if he was to be hit by a Bus they would be SOL.

Look up Ben Simo's work on his blog. He used a lot of the materials from Harry Robinson (so he tells me) to get his stuff going. I don't know how long it took him to build it and get it going right, but he did it.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all. The more I understand about it, the more it seems to be worthless in a dynamic environment. If you spend enough time on one application that doesn't change much from build to build, then maybe it could work in a beneficial way. But to me it seems to "text-bookish" for the real world of automation. I'll have to see if I can get a sponsor to back me. LOL! Fat Chance!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner