Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to automate flex application?

I am trying to build automated tests in flex. Is there any method to use flex automation without using the flex automation API?

The existing API needs that all custom components need to be instrumented for automation. But our application uses many third party flex components that are not instrumented. So we are trying to build something from scratch.. Any pointers??

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to automate flex application?

Most commercial GUI automation tools that say they support flex will allow you to automate in most cases. If the component doesn't implement the automation API, then it'll try to automate using MSAA. For the most part MSAA will work if the Automation API doesn't, but it gets messy when object mapping because you might get ugly object reference names from it.

Pretty much all UIComponents supplied by Adobe (the ones int he "mx." namespace) have the Automation API implemented. So if the components you're using is composed of Adobe's UIComponents, then it's likely to work.

In the extreme case where neither the automation API or MSAA doesn't work. You can try building a bridge. Basically an object that gets conditionally compiled into Debug builds, where you implement a class that sends mouse and keyboard events to your object directly, then open up a few external interface functions for doing that. (This method is basically how FlexUISelenium works)
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ranorex might be interesting for. You can automate your flex UI tests without using the flex automation API. The Ranorex Flex plug-in provides its own flex automation library (loading via the Loader or embedding the swc into your app).

http://www.ranorex.com/product/autom...lications.html

Here you can find a test of all Flex UI test tools:
    http://blog.b-i.com/?p=1121

Kind regards,
    Gabor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You may also want to take a look at our tool, Eggplant. It takes a purely visual approach to automation (interacting with software exactly the way a human user does), so it can test software created in Flex or any other tool without ever needing a special plug-in.
    Doug Simons, Principal Developer
    TestPlant, makers of eggPlant, the Cross-Platform GUI Testing Tool
    http://www.testplant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Analogically T-Plan Robot would work as well. Be just aware that both tools automate on the image level. A huge advantage of this approach is that automation is independent from the underlying technology and that's why flex (and any other technology in general) is not a problem at all. The price you pay is however that you don't have access to the GUI component hierarchy.

Should you be interested in a general overview read my article Image Based Versus Object Oriented Testing. It has a summary of advantages and disadvantages of both approaches.
    Robert Pes
    T-Plan Robot, open source cross-platform automated testing tool based on remote desktop technologies
    http://www.vncrobot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So what's the diff between Eggplant and T-Plan Robot? I used VNCRobot in the past and apparently it's T-Plan Robot now but I don't know Eggplant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    So what's the diff between Eggplant and T-Plan Robot? I used VNCRobot in the past and apparently it's T-Plan Robot now but I don't know Eggplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up in the forums list a bit.
    TestPlant Eggplant has its own forum.

Please go there to read more about Eggplant, and to ask questions.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I just reacted to the posts above. There are two recommendations, with a note about similar principle, so it is legitimate to ask about the diff and how it deals with flex?

Searchin the forums didn't help - there'sno relevant info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Gautaa, from what I know both tools exploit the VNC (RFB) technology to perform testing at the image level. From this point of view some features are fairly similar and testing of flex happens through the same mechanism. The products are otherwise very different in terms of approach, feature set and distribution/business model.

As you have previous experience with our tool, why don't you get a trial version of Eggplant and check it out on your own? You may then share your hands on experience [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Robert Pes
    T-Plan Robot, open source cross-platform automated testing tool based on remote desktop technologies
    http://www.vncrobot.com