Thread: Web and Desktop

Web and Desktop

My organization is need of a solution that can test (and Automate such) both Web, Desktop applications and the accompanied actions in corresponding DB's's.
    Web apps are .net applications i.e. C#, .Asp, some VB as well as Flex and Flash. Desktop apps are C#, Flex, C+ and ++. Database is SQL Server.

I am looking at TestComplete, EggPlant, and Automation Anywhere to name a few which segues into my issue. Am I missing something or are there only a "Few" solutions for functional and automated testing under the described circumstances (web and desktop applications)??
    Learning curb and ramp up time are as paramount as feature set though I can gauge this accordingly.

I am interested in any apps / solutions that anyone can think of.

Many thanks....

Re: Web and Desktop

I think you are missing something.
    More that a few tools can automate both web and desktop.

In the past, I have used WinRunner.
    Currently, I use WinTask.

You may want to check out some more of the test automation tools represented here at SQAForums.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I would suggest Quick Test Pro as a possibility. Although I think it is expensive, it is fairly easy to learn the basics. I don't think WinRunner will support .Net.
    Do or do not... there is no try. -Yoda

TestPartner is a good one to look at. I'm not sure how complex or simple your apps are, but TestPartner by Compuware has a user friendly interface and is rather extensive in it's capabilities. If your apps are straightforward you would have a minimal spinup time before being rather proficient at generating your basic tests.

I would suggest to check your application with the Spy of Ranorex or TestComplete. Both of them work well with .NET applications and web pages and are not expensive.

APart from the above you can also try out Perl or Ruby Scripting for Automating the Testing task

I would suggest to check your application with GUI Automated Tests from crom-osec. It work well with any windows application (including .NET, win32, java), it handles web pages and is cheap.