Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need Help for testing Flex Application

Hi all,

I am new to flex application. I need to automate a flex application. I am not sure what tool to use. Any further comments on this would be appreciated.

Also presently we are using QTP trial version. So downloading the flex plugin is of no use as its only for limited days. heard that selenium Flex is another tool for testing flex applications.Please provide me the basic details of selenium flex tool

regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Need Help for testing Flex Application

This might help:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...;Number=555836

as might a Search on this forum.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Since my reply on the other post, I can tell you what I learned so far.

For GUI testing, Flex Monkey and QTP are probably your best bet as far as I know. QTP being the only officially supported tool by Adobe. Flex Monkey being a GUI tool that runs in Flex and generates tests that are compiled in Flex code. From a strict record and playback standpoint, you might be better off with QTP. Flex Monkey besides being free has the benefit of being written in ActionScript so it'll be easier to cross train/help each other, so developers can write test code, and testers could eventually learn to write application code.

Flash/Selenium (there are 2 libraries I know off, I prefer the one at http://code.google.com/p/flash-selenium/ ) is a good way of calling external interfaces, but horrible for doing simple GUI testing. Since you need to provide external interface call backs for Selenium to call your Flex application, it'll become too tedious if you need to add a call back for each GUI object you'll need to use. It is good if your Flex application is designed in a MVC paradigm, where you can hide the View and drive your app is a headless fashion.

As for AutoQuick. It really is only some demo code that Adobe has on display. You can compile it into your application and automate it in a simple manner, but it's just there to demonstrate how you can use the APIs to write your own automation plugins (like QTP plugin) or automation app (such as flex monkey)
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You might also want to consider our tool, Eggplant. Since Eggplant works visually, just like a person does, it can automate any software regardless of the underlying technology used to create it. Eggplant never needs plugins to support a particular technology -- it can test anything right out of the box, including future development/deployment platforms that haven't even been invented yet. Just a thought. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Doug Simons, Principal Developer
    TestPlant, makers of eggPlant, the Cross-Platform GUI Testing Tool
    http://www.testplant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TestPartner is also a tool which support Flex and Flash technologies as of version 6.2 (Febuary 2009). It is designed to work from a user perspective as well, like dpsimons mentions above.

There are a wide variety of possibilities, it really just depends on which style of app you like. I would recomend trying several out and seeing which interface you like best. The only other thing I would keep in mind is how much vendor support is offered if you run into any problems with your selected tool and your application. Good luck.