Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best Practice - Start and End Conditions of Test

The automated tests I currently run log out of my application at the end of the test, but they do not close the app.

I have seen various instances where test engineers start their automated tests with a command to invoke the AUT, and end the test with a command to close the AUT.

Doing this would not lead to any changes in my test structure. If these commands were added the tests would still run fine.

My only question is this: Doesn't keeping the app open for many tests also in an indirect way cover some other testing needs? For example, keeping the AUT open would help to expose any memory leaks or related issues that you might come across. If the AUT is opened and closed for each test this would not be something that the tests would expose.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best Practice - Start and End Conditions of Test

Opening/closing the app at the start/end of each test could expose issues that might not be exposed by leaving the app open.

Anyway, my answer is: What is the purpose of your test(s)? Do your test(s) exercise/verify functional requirements...or non-functional requirements?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    The automated tests I currently run log out of my application at the end of the test, but they do not close the app.

I have seen various instances where test engineers start their automated tests with a command to invoke the AUT, and end the test with a command to close the AUT.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the intent of the automated tests.

1) If the intent is to quickly examine a piece of functionality, and not be concerned with what happens opening and closing the application-under-test, then it might make sens to open/close it each time.

That method allows each of the individual tests to more simply survive when other tests fail or crash the application. Your starting and stopping state are more easily defined and achieved. And the tests could presumably be run in any order.

2) If instead the intent is to model long-term usage, or longer user behavior, then starting the application once, before all the individual tests, and closing it once at the end may be more appropriate.

As you have said, longer-term effects (like memory leaks) could more easily be detected.

3) In practice, I have done both.

4) There are no best practices. There are practices that work well for a particular situation, and there are practices that don't work as well.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, the suite of tests I am talking about are basic smoke tests that check the following:

- Navigation to every screen of the application
    - Ensure that all GUI objects are rendered as expected
    - That minimal data can be entered, saved, edited, and deleted

From the responses above it looks like it may be a good idea to add invoke and close statements to my tests. Or maybe I can add something to the XML file that is read prior to test execution that will turn this on or off, depending on what I would like to do for that specific test run. For example, if I have a function that can be triggered by setting an environmental variable as on/off or true/false that might work...

Thanks for your input!