Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

VMware Lab Manager Automation

Greetings,

I've looked around the forum and done a search but I can't find any mention of it so hopefully I'm not repeating anything previously posted.

I've posted this question else where but thought it couldn't hurt to try different forums to get answers.

We have just installed ESX and Lab Manager as part of our plan to use virtual machines in our automated test system.

To give a brief example. When the test system launches the testing it will start up a configuration (or 2), install the product on to the machines and run the tests. Once the tests have finished, the results will be copied to a central repository, the VM will be shutdown & captured (in case anything needs to be investigated)

The start up, shutdown and capturing off the configuration can be done using a C# pprogram to access the SOAP API. The problem I have is how do I get the VM's to carry out the product install etc... Reading the SOAP API Guide I see that there are API's for running Mercury Interactive Quality Center tests on the VM's.

We use in house application to run our tests so I'm looking for something similar that can be used for running custom programs on the VM's?

Thanks
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: VMware Lab Manager Automation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the suggestion, but the only method I can think of to use that on the VM's would be to have the scripts launched as a startup process on the VM.

If I were to use that method I might as well use batch files to do the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We've used autoIT like that:
    The AutoIT was responsible for booting the VM, logging in using a free sysinternaltool (Forgot the name) and copying and running the instalaltion and the tests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ahh right. Don't suppose you can find out the name of the sysinternal utility you used.

Was autoIT just replaying a recorded set of key strokes etc.. or can it be more dynamic (eg accept & use arguments to point to the product installation)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is the tool, it is MS tool now:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897553.aspx

AutoIT is recording strokes, i think that you can also edit the code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks TVEEZoren. I'll look into that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Stevenmurphy,
    Just wondering, did you get a chance to take a look at VMLogix LabManager?

Just so you and the others reading this post have the information, you can run guest VM automation operations with VMLogix LabManager. So things like executing commands, installing software, executing user scripts, setting/clearing environment variables, synchronizing the setup of multi-VMs etc. within guest VMs can be done by the guest VM automation capability available in VMLogix LabManager. There are more than 20+ guest VM operations to choose from, including defining your own custom operations.

Here is a blog post on this, with screenshot images and the high level setup:

http://blog.vmlogix.com/2008/07/21/a...we-mean-by-it/

Here is a customer experience about it (somebody who had a specific benefit with the automation capability):

http://blog.vmlogix.com/2008/08/10/custo...gix-labmanager/

Thank you for your time,

Srihari Palangala, VMLogix
    http://blog.vmlogix.com

ps: VMLogix is hypervisor agnostic - with support for Citrix, Microsoft and VMware. You can find more information here - http://www.vmlogix.com
    Srihari Palangala,
    VMLogix