Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

automatic cookies in ACT

I find that ACT only manages to persist 1 cookie. Has anyone found differently? I have 3 different session ids. A default one, JSESSIONID, and two that are done by the application. I find that only the JSESSIONID one perists.

thanks
    --Dylan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: automatic cookies in ACT

I've found that all cookie items are maintained by ACT independantly in each ACT thread. Have you tried to dump all of the cookie items across all threads to verify? Otherwise, I'd ask if your other two "application" session id's aren't just in the cookie items, but possibly only in the response body, or uploaded through the post data instead.
    -------------
    I prefer 'maliciously mischevious'.
    Jamie Nichols
    TDAdmin of Evil
    -------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've found that all cookie items are maintained by ACT independantly in each ACT thread. Have you tried to dump all of the cookie items across all threads to verify? Otherwise, I'd ask if your other two "application" session id's aren't just in the cookie items, but possibly only in the response body, or uploaded through the post data instead.
    -------------
    Jamie Nichols
    TDAdmin of Evil
    -------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

---[Here is a trace, which shows my issue]---

---[Below: First page request, no session yet]---
    ----------
    [07/26 - 15:27:01!3616] TRACE: 00000001
    sending request to server (398 bytes)
    GET /somedir/page1.do HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, */*
    Accept-Language: en-us
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Host: qaworker.somedomain.com:8080
    Cookie:

---[Below: First page header return, 2 Set-Cookie lines. One JSESSION, One csm_ch_session_id.]---

----------
    [07/26 - 15:27:01!3500] TRACE: 00000001
    received 30723 bytes from server
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Cache-Control: private
    Pragma: no-cache
    Expires: 0
    Set-Cookie: csm_ch_session_id=0b55ceb8-afe1-48da-8b5d-3320ddec2a2c
    Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=16DDE8F71882BC57D3D51059ECF6DA52; Path=/somedir
    Content-Type: text/html
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:27:07 GMT
    Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

---[Below: Additional Trace statement to actually see that the cookies are in the cookies object.]---

----------
    [07/26 - 15:27:01!3616] SCRIPT TRACE
    1>Cookie names: csm_ch_session_id=0b55ceb8-afe1-48da-8b5d-3320ddec2a2c JSESSIONID=16DDE8F71882BC57D3D51059ECF6DA52

---[Below: Go to new page, JSESSION is in the request. Where is csm_ch_session_id?]---

----------
    [07/26 - 15:27:01!3616] TRACE: 00000001
    sending request to server (449 bytes)
    GET /somedir/page2.do HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, */*
    Accept-Language: en-us
    Host: qaworker.somedomain.com:8080
    Cookie: JSESSIONID=16DDE8F71882BC57D3D51059ECF6DA52

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Without more detail, I'd think that you might want to try putting that cookie item set manually. If you can trace the response cookie item, then you can set that item for the response using oHeaders.Add "Cookie" after the "(automatic)" has processed.
    -------------
    Jamie Nichols
    TDAdmin of Evil
    -------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, what it comes down to is this. "(automatic)" cookies works if you only have one cookie. If you have more than one cookie, it does not send any more than 1 cookie in the request.

Request: Browser makes a request, no cookies.
    Response: Server sends a response, 3 cookies.
    Check cookie object, all three cookies are there.
    Request: Browser makes a request, 1 cookie is sent
    Response: Server sends a response, redirects client because client did not send session cookies.

The cookies are ending up in the cookie object, but it appear there is a bug in ACT where it seems like it is looking up the cookies it is supposed to send, and it either finds 1, and thinks thats all there is and sends the request, OR it creates a variable, and as it finds each cookie in the array, it copies it to the variable, but instead of concatenating, it is copying over the previous cookie, thus only 1 cookie gets sent. You can take a look and see if it is the first valid cookie, or the last valid cookie to surmise which way it was coded incorrectly.

To solve the problem, I tried to make a cookie manager, that still utilized the internal ACT cookie object. However, the cookie object had other bugs where it would not update a cookie value, but instead store it as a new cookie.

So, I made a cookie manager of my own, since I could easily get at the response and request data to make my ACT client handle cookies correctly.

However, with automatic redirects, I couldn't manage the cookies, so I had to turn off automatic redirects, and manage those myself as well.

This product has no support. No updates. Does not work as advertised. Yes, there are a lot of people using it, but maybe they have simpler applications to test. Ones that don't use cookies, or don't have redirects. Perhaps, they are ignorant of what ACT is actually doing, and they are happy to do a browser play and record, and do playback even though it is not a realistic example of what really happens between the browser and the server (ie KEEP-ALIVE for example).

I'll likely phase out the use of ACT for something that; has support, has a large base of intelligent users that talk on a newsgroup, and fixes bugs in the software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I appreciate that you thought about this though. Thanks QA Guy.